Get your home ready for spring
Spring is (almost) in bloom! Here in Milwaukee, we've had quite a cold winter, but the good news is that the days are getting longer and temperatures are slowly warming up. Yes, we're on the upswing! This means that it's time to start thinking about giving your home a spring makeover, trading your drab winter colors for bright and vibrant hues. Follow these tips to get your home in shape for spring!
- Accent walls: As we mentioned above, it's time to kiss dark colors goodbye. Head to your local paint store and pick up a few swatches of brightly colored paint to give your home a bold new look. If you think that painting your whole room a vibrant shade, such as magenta or radiant orchid, is too gutsy, creating an accent wall is the way to go. Once the paint dries, then you can add unique flair to the wall with decals or artwork.
- Fresh flowers: If you're tired of this cold weather, bring some life into your home by picking up a potted plant or a fresh bouquet of flowers at your local florist. Who says you can't treat yourself? If you want to stay right on trend for 2014, select a chic orchid plant. These flowers are not only gorgeous, they are also relatively low-maintenance and can last for weeks. If you don't have a green thumb, you can also opt to introduce a floral motif in your home décor. For instance, custom curtains and drapes with a flower pattern never go out of style!
- Sheer window fashions: Light and airy window fashions allow you to let the sun dance into your home. "A simple pair of sheer panels moves with little effort and filters light," reports a blogger for Better Homes and Gardens. "Lest you think sheers come only in a plain-white option, check out today's choices, including pretty pale colors and punchy patterns such as the stripes shown here. Curtain clips make it easy to hang and replace later."
- Spring cleaning: Now is the perfect time to get a head's start on your spring cleaning. This way, when the warm weather finally arrives you can spend your days biking or treating your kids to frozen yogurt instead of being stuck in your home. Why don't you start by organizing your closet? Store away your heavy coats and boots in favor of Capri pants, sun dresses and light jean jackets. If you need help getting organized this spring, reach out to our custom home organization specialists.
- Stylish accessories: Add stylish accessories to the mix to take your home from drab to fab. For instance, bold patterns such as Chevron are right on trend this spring. Shop thrift stores or flea markets for affordable statement pieces. Bright and colorful throw pillows can be added to your couch for an original look. Or, try draping a patterned throw rug beneath your coffee table.
For more home decor tips be sure to follow our blog or stop by Bazaar Home Decorating center for our stylish selection of custom window coverings.